[Boston, MA] Constructed in 1928, and initially known as the Public Services Building and later as the Batterymarch Building, The Dagny was Boston’s first Art Deco skyscraper.
Notable artist and architect Harold Field Kellogg designed the building, also Boston’s largest office building at the time. It housed many prominent businesses during the 20th century.
In 1995, the Boston Landmarks Commission designated historic preservation status to the exterior of the Batterymarch Building because of its design and contribution to Boston’s architectural history. The structural steel and reinforced concrete frame are clad in over thirty shades of progressively lighter polychrome brick to emphasize the verticality of the structure while cast stone and decorative terra cotta elements adorn the entrances with symbols of America, the industrial age and local commerce.
The lobby ceiling still has the original goldleaf Art Deco mural of Atlas carrying the world on his shoulders with the skyline of the City of Boston appearing on the horizon.
In 1998, a preservation effort led to the building’s conversion to a hotel. Now, following a $32 million investment, we have The Dagny, a 403-room boutique hotel inspired by the glamour of the Art Deco era.
Located near the Financial District and historic Faneuil Hall, The Dagny opened Aug. 1, 2023.
THE DAGNEY LINKS