Reviving New York City Tourism
This event is specific to New York City tourism. However, 24HourNation believes the symposium will offer value to tourism proponents in any American city. We thank our colleague Andrew Rigie for bringing this forum to our attention. Unable to attend in person? The symposium will be livestreamed.
Reviving New York’s tourism sector is one of the city’s top economic challenges, given that so many of the industries still suffering major job losses since the start of the pandemic are those most affected by the decline in tourists.
New York City’s tourism sector is on the road to recovery. However, the city is still short millions of visitors compared to its pre-pandemic peak — including a significant share of higher-spending international tourists. Experts project that visitation won’t return to 2019 levels until 2024.
The Center for an Urban Future will host “Accelerating NYC’s Tourism Recovery,” a policy symposium set for Wednesday, Jun. 29, from 8:00-10:45 a.m. Eastern at The Greene Space, located at 44 Charlton Street, at the corner of Varick Street.
This forum will offer an ideas-focused discussion about what more city and state leaders can do to accelerate New York City’s tourism recovery. Although several important initiatives have been launched by NYC & Company and others to promote New York and spur a tourism rebound, the forum will explore other specific actions that city and state leaders, tourism agencies, and economic development officials could take to:
- supercharge New York’s tourism recovery,
- ensure the economic benefits are widely shared, and
- lay the groundwork for a stronger tourism economy in the future.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Fred Dixon, President & CEO, NYC & Company
- Nikoa Evans, Executive Director, Harlem Park to Park; Co-Founder, Harlem Festival of Culture
- Peter Madonia, Chairman, Belmont Business Improvement District; Former Chief of Staff, Mayor Michael Bloomberg
- Anthony Ramirez II, Co-owner, Bronx Beer Hall & From The Bronx
- Andrew Rigie, Executive Director, New York City Hospitality Alliance, and
- Tim Tompkins, Principal, SharedCitySharedSpace; Former President, Times Square Alliance
For those unable to attend in person, a virtual livestream of the event will also be available. Registration is required for both in person and virtual attendance.
Register to attend symposium in person
Register to view live stream of symposium
Photo by Zack Marshall on Unsplash