Torino’s ToNite Project – A Great Laboratory for Change
24 Minutes Podcast
Season 2, Episode 16
Jun 29, 2023
Guest: Simone d’Antonio, Head of Communication
Associazione Italiana dei Comuni Italiani
“There are some aspects of the night that are impossible to understand if you are not part of the community,” says Simone d’Antonio from the Associazione Italiana dei Comuni Italiani (National Association of Italian Municipalities).
In this episode of 24 Minutes from 24HourNation, Simone is talking about the ToNite Project in Torino, or Turin, Italy.
The ToNite Project tested new thinking on how to shape and strengthen nightlife in important but overlooked neighborhoods that have very different characteristics and residents of different cultures and socioeconomics.
The ToNite Project also used creative professionals from within the community to help shape a new future for these neighborhoods.
The project included:
- ethnographic and social research — involving local stakeholders — to analyze the perception of public safety in the targeted neighborhoods.
- activating and empowering community leaders.
- developing a technological platform to analyze the data relating to urban insecurity.
- redeveloping public spaces in the project areas.
- announcing and activating financial support and services that will have a social impact especially in the evening hours.
- creating an impact assessment of actions in the ToNite neighborhoods.
The ToNite Project offers a model that can be replicated in cities around the world.
Take 24 Minutes to hear from Simone d’Antonio.
TONITE PROJECT LINKS